It's the Environment, Stupid.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Crate&Barrel introduces Eco-line

Well hot damn! Crate&Barrel has introduced an eco-friendly line of sofas and chairs.

Now, I'm not a big Crate&Barrel shopper myself. I'm on the e-mail list because I bought a wedding present for a friend who registered there. But I thought I'd click through the e-mail ad and have a look-see.

The Ross Sofa says:
  • Certified sustainable, kiln-dried hardwood frame
  • Seat cushions are filled with soy-based polyfoam, wrapped in a blend of goose down, feathers and corn-based fibers, and encased in downproof ticking
  • Back cushions are a blend of goose down, feathers and corn-based fibers encased in downproof ticking
That all sounds like a bunch of eco-fluff with zero backbone, so I clicked on their main enviro page to see if there was any further explanation. That's where I found it - FSC certified. Good. That means something. Stopping the use of petroleum based foam for corn and soy based alternatives. Also good (debatable in some circles, but good.)

Even cooler is the packaging. That white bleached board used in C&B signature boxes is going to be phased out, and all those shopping bags are going to be made with "30% post-consumer material." The tissue used to wrap the breakable stuff is "100% recyclable" made with "70% post-consumer waste."

While their eco-verbiage leaves a little to be desired it is definitely a step in the right direction for the retailer. I probably won't start shopping there because of it, but the folks that LOVE their Crate&Barrel now have some eco-options at no extra charge.

5 Comments:

  • This is awesome, definitely a step in the right direction for them you're totally right. Great site, we reference it for our blog! Keep up the great work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14:15  

  • I definitely think that though more could be done it is a step toward eliminating needless waste and I wish other companies would start to consider what their practices are doing to the environment.

    I personally feel more comfortable and less guilty about buying products that are made from recycled materials, mostly because if it can be recycled once, it can be recycled again. I always feel that there is a need to constantly educate our selves and attempt to further our efforts to help lessen human's imprint on the Earth.

    I was blog surfing the other day and I found a great Green products store at http:www.greeneutopia.com for those of you who are interested. All of their products were seemingly affordable and many were made from recycled materials.. which is always a plus. They even had some great information and tips for living a greener life! I hope this helps other families like mine out there!

    Good luck!
    Sabrina

    By Anonymous Sabrina Ahmed, at 18:17  

  • Thanks for a great post good

    By Anonymous halı yıkama, at 08:10  

  • The more you shall honor Me,
    the more I shall bless you.
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague
    (<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

    trustNjesus ALWAYS, dear,
    and wiseabove to Seventh-Heaven...
    cuzz the only other realm aint too cool.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 20:16  

  • very nice, thank you
    Tutishop

    By Blogger Unknown, at 03:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home